Those popes who bear the name, "Pius," are the greatest guardians of the Church against heresy. This blog is a watchdog for modernism in the Church. In reality, outside this blog, the members of the board temper their criticisms and opinions with prudence and charity so as to help souls in their journey towards Christ. But sometimes, for the sake of their own sanity, the authors of this blog just need to blow off some steam. The result is Totus Pius.

20 June 2006

In Nomine Matris, et Filiae, et Ventris Sancti

Yesterday the Presbyterians decided that it may be acceptable to refer to the Most Holy Trinity as "Mother, Child, and Womb" or "Rock, Redeemer, and Friend" says an AP report. We're having a hard time finding the complete story but...try this link:

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060620/APN/606200639&cachetime=5


So yea...We think its funny that these are the same people who confess:

There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God.

Hmmm

We wonder if these people even read Scripture anymore.

We mean...Jesus' last words to mankind according to the Scriptures combat BOTH THESE ERRORS. C'mon folks...lets read Matthew 28 and John 21 together, shall we? You know what? We'll even use a translation to which they would assent, the KJV - along with the Rheims, of course.

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen."
--Mt 28:18-20 (KJV)

"And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth. Going therefore, teach ye all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world. "
--Mt 28:18-20 (Rheims)

AND

"So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee. Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not. This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me."
--Jn 21:15-19 (KJV)

"When therefore they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter: Simon son of John, lovest thou me more than these? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. He saith to him again: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? He saith to him: Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee. He saith to him: Feed my lambs. He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep. Amen, amen I say to thee, when thou wast younger, thou didst gird thyself, and didst walk where thou wouldst. But when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and lead thee whither thou wouldst not. And this he said, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had said this, he saith to him: Follow me."
--Jn 21:15-19 (Rheims)

AND

"And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
--Mt 16:16-19 (KJV)

"Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven."
--Mt 16: 16-19 (Rheims)

We wish this craziness would have been "taken care of" back in the 16th century...seriously...

9 comments:

mighty_duck said...

Those Proddies are an interesting crowd... some group elected a female bishop the other day too. That whole tradition thing apparently doesn't fly with them.

R2K said...

: )

Papa Pius XI said...

We are of the opinion that by mocking the Trinity in such a way as the title of this post, even in exemplic jest, you should make reparation with seven Paters and seven Aves.

Papa Sanctus Pius X said...

Hmm...interesting biblical translations. So where did Holy Spirit come from and what was wrong with Holy Ghost?

Ma Beck said...

Papa,
I say 'Holy Ghost', too, mostly because I like to scare children (I once read that that was one of the reasons 'they' changed it - because the 'ghost' things scares kids) and because I think it sounds rad, but..but...
'Spiritus Sancti' translated does mean 'Holy Spirit', right? I'm not certain of the Latin for 'ghost', though. Maybe it's the same?
In my St. Joseph Missal, circa 1954, it is translated "Holy Spirit".

Papa Sanctus Pius X said...

Yes. We guess that literally translated, "spiritus" is spirit. The original Greek is a little more vague however. The word is "pneuma" which literally is breath. We guess that either translation is acceptable although we would be interested to know why it was translated as "ghost" for so long.

Ma Beck said...

'Holy breath'.
Now, you think about that for a moment.
"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Breath".
That - is -spectacular, and gives one a much clearer understanding of the Third Person in the Holy Trinity.
Of course, it invites Listerine jokes and therefore can never be used publicly. But, still..
Thanks for the info.

Ma Beck said...

P.S.
From Wikipedia:

"Holy Ghost was the common name for the Holy Spirit in English prior to the 20th century. It is the name used in the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Version of the Bible, and is still used by those who prefer more traditional language, or whose religious vocabulary is largely derived from the King James Version — including many Anglicans, conservative Pentecostal groups, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and various others. The original meaning of the English word ghost parallelled the words spirit or soul; only later did the former word come to acquire the specific sense of "disembodied spirit of the dead" and the associated pejorative connotations.

In 1901 the American Standard Version of the Bible translated the name as Holy Spirit, as had the English Revised Version of 1881-1885 upon which it was based. Almost all modern English translations have followed suit. Some languages still use a word that overlaps both English words, such as the German Geist.

In the United Kingdom, Religious Education teachers are told to avoid using "Holy Ghost" as it "suggests a trivial and spooky element to the third part in the Trinity"

Papa Sanctus Pius X said...

Thanks, Ma Beck. That info helps.